If you have content that you wish to raise in the search results for users, you could do that by adding Search Keywords and Best Bets to the site collection in question as follows:
- Start by navigating to the home page of the site in question.
- Click “Site Actions” at the top left of the home page.
- On the dropdown menu, click “Site Settings”.
- On the Site Settings page, under the Site Collection Administration section, click “Search keywords”.
- On the Search Keywords page, you’ll see all the defined keywords for the site collection.
- Click “Add Keyword” to begin the process of adding a new keyword.
- In our example, we have a Word document named “Site Inspection Checklist” that we wish to add to best bets.
- In the Keyword Phrase we enter the search term “Site Inspection Checklist”.
- In the Synonyms we can add phrases that users may use to search for this document. In our example, we used “Inspection Checklist”, “Inspection Check List” and “Site Inspection Check List”. You can add as many as you want, all separated by a semi colon.
- Now click the “Add Best Bet” link to add the Best Bet for this item.
- Start by adding the URL of the target item.
- Next add the Title of the item and description and then click “OK” to add the Best Bet.
- The Best Bet is now listed on the Keywords page.
- Continue by filling out other details and then clicking “OK” to complete the process.
- Now you can test Search on the target site and the newly added Keywords and Best Bet should surface to the top in the search results.
I was honored today when Microsoft awarded me the Most Valuable Professional award for SharePoint, for the 8th time. Here's to an especially great year ahead with SharePoint 2013!