Then I removed the Visio beta… same error message.
"OK fine" I thought as I uninstalled the SharePoint Designer beta as well.
Restart setup and… same error message! Say WHAT?!?!
"OK" I thought. "A reboot will fix it."
So I rebooted… restart Setup… SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!
After scratching around for a couple of minutes, I conclude that the Office beta products must have left registry entries behind and I'm going to have to user a registry cleaning utility to fix it.
Though I'm not afraid to make registry changes, I've always avoided tools that make mass registry changes… quite frankly, that scares me a bit.
Anyway, so I conduct a search for the term "registry cleanup tools" and find:
[TIP: Add this tool to your toolbox. It'll save you some day!]
As you can see, there are 4 beta tools listed.
I selected them an clicked Remove.
Then I quit the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and restarted Office Ultimate 2007 Setup and… TADA!!! J
So if you run into the same issue, get the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility! J